Billions of dollars climate disasters in July 2021


Billions of dollars climate disasters in July 2021

The Earth suffered $4 billion in weather disasters in July 2021, according to Aon: a $25 billion flood in Europe, a $25 billion flood in China, monsoon floods in India that cost $1.6 billion, and Cyclone In-fa in East Asia, which cost. . . $1.1 billion. In addition, four extreme weather disasters earlier in the year accumulated enough damage by the end of July to be classified as multibillion-dollar disasters, resulting in $26 billion worth of climate disasters on Earth so far in 2021, Aon reports. . Their record for the whole year is $50 billion in climate disasters, set in 2020. Here are the details of the July disasters.

 The most severe European floods since 1922, according to the international disaster database EM-DAT.

Billion-dollar July weather disaster: The worst floods in Central Europe in several decades hit western Germany and eastern Belgium from July 12-18, when an intermittent low-pressure system dumped torrential rains that killed 240 people and caused at least 25 billion dollars in damage. According to the international disaster database EM-DAT, this would rank as the most expensive climate disaster in Europe since at least 1980. It was the deadliest flood in Europe since 1985 and the ninth deadliest in the past 100 years.

July Weather Disaster Worth $1 Billion: Zhengzhou, China hit Zhengzhou, China on July 20, torrential rain occurred with incredible intensity, and 644.6 mm (25.38 inches) of rain was recorded in 24 hours. That's more than a year of rain: the average annual precipitation (1981–2010 Climatology) is just 640.9 mm (25.24 in). Total flood damage in June and July in China was estimated at $25 billion, with 325 deaths. This would rank as the fifth most expensive climate disaster in Asia since 1980, according to EM-DAT.

July 1 billion weather disaster: Typhoon In-fa made landfall along China's east coast in Zhejiang Province from July 25-26. In-fa's influences have also been felt in Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. Total damages in China amounted to $1.1 billion.

4th Billion Weather Disaster on July 1: Monsoon floods in India continued throughout July, including particularly severe waves from July 22 to 28, in which Maharashtra was hit hard. The death toll from the monsoons in June and July was 534, and losses amounted to $1.6 billion.

La Niña Watch is still valid

The National Oceanic Administration said in its August 12 monthly discussion of the El Niño/Southern Oscillation, or ENSO, that neutral conditions were in place through July. However, the agency continued to monitor La Niña for the expected arrival of a La Niña event later in the year.

Over the past month, Niño has recorded sea surface temperatures of 3.4°C in the eastern tropical Pacific (5°N-5°S, 170°W -120°W) 0.1-0.2°C below average. The range of "weak" La Niña conditions is 0.5-1.0 °C below average.

NOAA and Columbia University's International Institute for Climate and Society Research forecasters say they expect La Niña conditions to remain in the "neutral" range through September (60% chance) while likely drifting toward a new La Niña event this fall. The forecast for November through December and January is a 69% chance of a La Niña, a 29% chance of a neutral El Niño, and a 2% chance of an El Niño. Historically, half of the winter La Niña events (such as those that occurred during the winter of 2020-2021) continued to appear or recurred during the following winter.

The deviation from the El Niño means sea surface temperature (SST) is 3.4°N in the eastern equatorial Pacific. Temperatures have been 0.1-0.2°C below average over the past month.

Arctic sea ice: fourth lowest recorded in July

According to the National Snow, the extent of Arctic sea ice during July 2021 was the fourth lowest in the 43-year satellite record. in July, the 2021 range was the poorest record for that time of year, but it slowed later in the month due to low pressure and cloudy skies that dominated the Arctic.

The amount of Antarctic sea ice during July was above the 90th percentile, ranking eighth on record.

Greenland: thaw in July

Greenland's hot temperatures caused the Greenland ice sheet to experience two extensive melt events in the second half of July. According to the National Snow, the second melt event was the sixth-largest melt area and the fourth-highest runoff in the satellite record, starting in 1978. However, snow cover from early snowfall in early summer underestimated the potential impact. . Defrost by limiting exposure to exposed ice and reducing runoff. Both events shifted the 2021 season from net ice profit to near-mean net change, but more is expected to melt through September.

0/Post a Comment/Comments